St. Mary le Bow 104/10

Citation Show another format:

'St. Mary le Bow 104/10', Historical gazetteer of London before the Great Fire: Cheapside; parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane (1987), pp. 243. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=8553 Date accessed: 20 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Introduction

This property lay on the S. side of Bow churchyard, bounded to the E. by 9, to the W. by 12, and to the S. by 8. From the 14th century it was held with 8 and probably 9, forming one large tenement the history of which is given under 11.

In 1268 one of the properties to the N. of 8 was the tenement of John de Arcubus, probably identical with 10. In 1280 Stephen le Burser, William le Gaunter, William de la More, John de Sancto Albano, and Simon Lefchild distrained in the tenement of Adam de Arcubus, taking galones and potell', for arrears of a rent of 2 marks (£1. 6s. 8d.) which they claimed was owed them from the tenement. Adam denied this in a plea of naam in 1281, and the jury found in his favour. The claimants quitclaimed in the rent to Thomas de Arcubus and his brother Adam in 1286, for 6 marks (£4). In 1293 the tenement late of Adam de Arcubus was said to lie to the E. of 12, and in 1294 that of Sir Henry de Enefeld, kt., to the N. of 8. John de Enefeld had succeeded Henry by 1301, and in 1323 Sir John de Enefeld, kt., held the property. He granted it before 1335 to Richard de Berkyng, citizen and draper, who in that year also acquired 8. By his will, dated and proved in 1355, de Berkyngg left his tenement in the parish of St. Mary le Bow, which he had acquired from John de Enefeld, to his wife Joan for life, with remainder to Thomas de Kent and his wife Joan, de Berkyngg's daughter, and their heirs. (fn. 1)

Later in 1355 de Berkyngg's widow Joan quitclaimed all right in the tenements and rents she had for life in the parish of St. Mary le Bow and elsewhere to John de Hiltoft, citizen and goldsmith. In 1357 John de Hiltoft brought a plea of intrusion against Nicholas Ploket, mercer, and Nicholas de Exton and his wife Joan, widow of Richard de Berkyngg, late citizen and alderman. Later that year de Exton and Joan enrolled the quitclaim made in 1355, while she was sole, to John de Hiltoft. Nicholas Ploket put in his claim at the time of enrolment, but it is not clear what his interest was. Later in 1357 Nicholas de Exton, citizen and fishmonger, and Joan quitclaimed to John Hiltoft all her right of dower in the tenement with houses which John had by grant of the late Richard de Berkyngg, sometime of John de Enefeld, kt., lying between 9 to the E., 12 to the W., the churchyard to the N. and 8 to the S., with warranty for Joan's life. Thomas de Kent, citizen and draper, and his wife Joan, daughter of Richard de Berkyngg, quitclaimed in the same to de Hiltoft in 1358. John (de) Hiltoft also acquired 8 from the executors of Richard de Berkyngg, and by his will, dated and proved in 1368, left both properties to his own executors for sale. The subsequent history of these properties is given under 11. (fn. 2)

Footnotes

1 1 HR 4(2); HCP 9, mm. 3, 5d; HR 16(62), 22(6), 23(75), 30(54), 51(84), 63(106), 83(103).
2 2 HR 85(75); HPL 79, m. 11; HR 85(127), 86(19), 96(102).