Fields near Islington town were frequently used for secret gatherings. In 1558 c. 40 men and women at a prayer meeting in a back close were arrested and 13 of them were burnt. (fn. 4) Robert Browne, founder of the Brownist sect, was said to have preached at Islington, possibly in a gravel pit, in the 1570s. (fn. 5) Since it is unlikely that he came to London during that period, the tradition may refer to 1586-9, when Browne preached in and around London while a schoolmaster in Southwark. (fn. 6) A separatist church led by Francis Johnson and John Penry used woods near Islington as one of its meeting places. On one occasion c. 50 were arrested there, possibly in 1593 when Johnson and his father and his brother George were arrested. (fn. 7)
After the Restoration several deprived ministers settled in Islington, some running dissenting academies. (fn. 8) In 1672 Samuel Lee, ejected from St. Botolph's, Bishopsgate, was licensed to teach at his house at Newington Green, and the houses there of Daniel Bull and Mrs. Stock were licensed as Presbyterian meeting places. George Fowler, ejected vicar of Bridewell, was also licensed to teach at his house in Islington, and the houses of William Barker and George Thwing at Islington and of David King at Kingsland green were licensed as meeting places. (fn. 9) Presbyterianism declined thereafter, until revived in connexion with the Church of Scotland in the early 19th century.
George Whitefield and John Wesley preached in Islington from 1738, usually in private houses, and often stayed there. George Stonehouse, vicar 1738-40, invited Whitefield and John and Charles Wesley to preach in the parish church in 1738 and 1739. (fn. 10) In April 1739 Whitefield assisted the vicar in administering communion and afterwards addressed a large crowd in a room. The next day he was prevented by the churchwardens from entering the pulpit and preached in the churchyard. The vestry blamed Stonehouse for the frequent disturbances, by allowing unlicensed persons to preach, and made a presentment to the bishop. Representatives of both vicar and parish drew up a statement that the Wesleys and Whitefield would not be allowed to use the pulpit, which Stonehouse signed, but four months later he allowed John Westley Hall to preach and wanted to appoint him as curate. The vestry asked the bishop to prevent Hall or any other preacher in fields or private houses from being licensed, Hall was not appointed, and in 1740 Stonehouse resigned. (fn. 11) In 1778 there were said to be no Methodists in the parish, (fn. 12) although John Wesley frequently stayed at no. 25 Highbury Place towards the end of his life, at the home of John Horton who became one of his executors. (fn. 13)
The first dissenting chapel was built in 1744 in Essex Road by Independents, (fn. 14) followed by Islington chapel in Church Street which was begun in 1788, inspired by the preaching of Jeremiah Learnoult Garrett on Islington Green and at the old Rectifying House and old Soap House. There was some connexion with Calvinistic Methodists, which Garrett later joined, but the chapel was mainly used by Independent preachers. (fn. 15) It was described as Methodist by the vicar in 1810, together with Union chapel and Holloway chapel, probably because the denominations were not clear. (fn. 16)
From the 1790s dissenters certified many private houses for worship; in addition to those listed below under specific sects, unspecified groups registered a house in Lower Street, 1800, no. 17 Britannia Row, 1817, no. 4 Windsor Street, 1823, no. 13 Wells Row, 1823, no. 26 Popham Street, 1824, a house in Union Row, Kingsland, 1824, and a former schoolroom in Adelaide Square, opposite no. 24 Shepperton Street, 1840. (fn. 17) Besides the two chapels mentioned above, small groups of Independents were meeting by 1793, as were Wesleyans at King's Cross by 1807 and Holloway by 1811. Although Particular Baptists met at King's Cross c. 1800, Baptists did not appear by name in Islington town until 1830. (fn. 18)
Some of the meetings eventually founded chapels. Independents founded the first nonconformist chapel at Holloway in 1805, and Wesleyans followed there in 1821. Union chapel, 1799, promoted co-operation between free churchmen and Evangelical Anglicans before the established church in Islington had come to be influenced by the Evangelical movement. Nonconformity was reinforced when the Hoxton Academy moved to the new Highbury College in 1826, training young men for the Congregationalist ministry there until 1850. (fn. 19)
New sects appeared with the spread of housing from the 1820s. The Methodist New Connexion, English Presbyterians, the United Secession Church of Scotland, and the Catholic Apostolic Church all opened chapels in 1834, followed by Lady Huntingdon's Connexion in 1838, the Wesleyan Methodist Association in 1841, Brethren in 1843, the Established Church of Scotland in 1846, Latter-day Saints in 1850, and the New Church (Swedenborgians) in 1852. In 1851 Islington was one of 10 parishes with the highest numbers of nonconformist worshippers in Middlesex. (fn. 20) There were 15 sects by 1860 and 20 by 1870. Several of the churches came from the City, as their members moved to the suburbs. In 1903 out of 29 sects that had held services in Islington 20 survived. A few more arrived in the 20th century: Seventh-day Baptists before the First World War, the Elim Four-Square Gospel Alliance, Christian Scientists, Liberal Catholics, the Apostolic Faith Church, and Paracletians in the period between the World Wars, and Pentecostalists and Jehovah's Witnesses after 1945.
The large working- and lower middle-class areas probably accounted for the smaller and less rigidly organized denominations; Islington's social structure demanded an evangelistic approach, and in all periods missions were more successful than regular services, except in middle-class areas such as Highbury. (fn. 21) Some nonconformist churches, like Anglican ones, retained social distinctions in their seating in the early 20th century as in the 19th. The division in Islington chapel was one of the reasons why W. H. Dorman left and joined the Brethren in 1838: a brass trellis screen marked off the pews for the middle class, who also sat several inches higher than the poor, and gates at each end of the aisles shut out those who could not pay. (fn. 22) Most chapels and churches of the leading sects still used seat-holding.
As the Evangelical drive in the Anglican church died down, nonconformists increased their proportion of church attendances. In 1851 there were 13,451 attendances at nonconformist services on census Sunday, 32 per cent of the total attendances, while the Anglican churches had 60 per cent. (fn. 23) In 1903 nonconformist attendances accounted for 54 per cent of the total and Anglicans had declined to 38 per cent, (fn. 24) although, as elsewhere, only a minority of the population worshipped at all: 11 1/2 per cent attended nonconformist services, 8 1/2 per cent Anglican, and 1 1/2 per cent other services. (fn. 25) Both in 1851 and 1903 the Congregationalists had the most nonconformist attendances, with 60 per cent (8,086) in 1851 and 30 per cent (11,771) in 1903. All Methodist churches had 18 per cent in 1851 and 17 per cent in 1903; Presbyterians 8 per cent and 9 per cent. Baptists showed the greatest percentage increase, from 6 per cent (790) in 1851 to 15 per cent (5,900) in 1903. The Brethren, with 1,174 attendances, and the Salvation Army, with 1,997, were the only other denominations with over 1,000 in 1903, and all except one of the remainder were below 500.
All existing churches declined sharply from c. 1900, as members moved to the outer suburbs and the newly arrived poor had yet to be won over. The new sects' mainly evangelistic approach resulted, as in the 19th century, in a growing membership, while older denominations were closing and amalgamating their churches. In 1914, excluding missions, there were 13 Congregational churches, 10 Methodist (Primitive and Wesleyan), 13 Baptist, 13 Brethren's, and 5 Presbyterian, besides 22 others representing a further 13 sects. (fn. 26) By 1983 the largest sects, Congregationalists and United Reformed Church, Methodists, and Baptists, had respectively only four, four, and six churches remaining out of the many founded in the 19th century.
The following abbreviations are used in the accounts of protestant nonconformist churches, in addition to those used in the index: Bapt., Baptist; Cong., Congregationalist; demol., demolished; Ind., Independent; Met., Metropolitan; Meth., Methodist; mtg., meeting; Presb., Presbyterian; reg., registered; temp. temporary; Utd. Ref., United Reformed; Wes., Wesleyan. Attendance figures for 1886 are from British Weekly, 'Rel. Census of Lond.' 24 Oct. 1886, 41; attendance figures for 1903 are from Mudie-Smith, Rel. Life, 170-4. Information dated 1914 is from Harris and Bryant, Chs. and Lond. 399-401.
Lower Street (Essex Rd.) chapel built 1744 with donations from Wm. Pearcy and Mr. Pike, S. corner Greenman's Lane, as first dissenting chapel in Islington. No regular min. until 1761. During ministry of John Gawsell, 1761-8, seceders met in Ward's Pl., old ho. just S. of chapel, but reunited when their min. left. Nos. rose after 1768 and galleries built. Known as Islington Mtg. c. 1800. Chapel much enlarged 1820, when front brought forward. Schoolroom for 200 later added. (fn. 27) Seated 800 in 1838, (fn. 28) 700 in 1851. Attendance 1851: 476 a.m.; 560 evg. (fn. 29) Lease expired 1865 and new chapel in River Street (later Pl.) (fn. 30) reg. 1864. Lecture room added by 1872. (fn. 31) Attendance 1903: 19 a.m.; 86 p.m. Closed 1909. (fn. 32)
Islington chapel (fn. 33) originated in privately owned chapel built 1788 in Church (later Gaskin) Street by John Ives, blacksmith, of Upper Street, assisted by Jeremiah Garrett, but not completed owing to lack of funds. Preachers included Revd. Mr. Clayton, Mr. Crole of Founders' Hall, Revd. Jos. Phillips, and Revd. John Marrant, American negro known as the Black Preacher. Chapel completed 1793 when Thos. Wills, formerly preacher to Ctss. of Huntingdon's Connexion and husband of Lady Huntingdon's niece, (fn. 34) took lease for life. Wills conveyed interest 1800 to Evan John Jones, min. 1800-27. Nos. increased and girls' sch. of ind. added. Sun. sch. of 300 was first of kind in Islington. Moved to new chapel in Upper Street, near corner Gaskin Street, built 1814: two-storeyed brick bldg. with cement facing in Grecian style, seating 1,389 including gallery. (fn. 35) Jones was criticized for material gains and large congregation; (fn. 36) also for profiting from New Bunhill Fields, burial ground created 1817 from garden of no. 5 Church Row, Upper Street, which he purchased and which adjoined grounds of old Church Street chapel. Jones conveyed chapel to trustees for Calvinists 1823, (fn. 37) having formerly had sole control of admissions. Anglican liturgy for Sun. svces. abandoned 1830. Chas. Gilbert, min. 1828-34, failed to regain sole control and with seceders founded Barnsbury chapel (q.v.). W. H. Dorman, min. c. 1835-8, joined Plymouth Brethren. Lecture hall built under chapel c. 1850. Attendance 1851: 869 a.m.; 719 evg. (fn. 38) Feuds reduced nos. to 49 by 1867. Revival attempted by John Spurgeon, min. 1873-6, whose s. Chas. Haddon Spurgeon preached anniversary ser- mons to large nos. Spurgeon resigned to allow amalgamation with Colebrooke Row Presb. chapel but public outcry defeated scheme. In 1877 chapel's 31 members sought financial aid of Lond. Cong. Union. In 1886 membership of 370 bought land to rebuild chapel after M.B.W. had taken premises for street improvements. New bldg. 1887-8 by Bonella & Paull: front in Norman Shaw style with large flat upper oriel window and cupola; two side entrances with four small arched windows between; galleried interior. (fn. 39) Attendance 1903: 322 a.m.; 720 p.m. Became Islington Chapel Utd. Ref. ch. 1972. Closed 1979. (fn. 40)
From late 18th cent. several premises were used by Inds.: room in ho. at corner of Union Row, Kingsland Rd., just inside par., 1793, whence worshippers moved to bldg. in Robinson's Row (near Kingsland Common or Crossway) just in Hackney, built 1794, reg. 1808; (fn. 41) room in ho. of Ric. Lawson, Elder Walk, Lower Rd., 1794; (fn. 42) Wm. Hodgson's ho., Hedge Row, Upper Street, Islington Green, 1800, (fn. 43) some members moving to Ann Morris's ho., no. 30 Cross Street, 1803; (fn. 44) Wm. Mackenzie's ho., Lower Street, 1802; (fn. 45) Geo. Thompson's ho., no. 7 Wells Row, 1806; (fn. 46) Rob. Martin's ho. at Holloway, 1803, replaced by Wm. Perfect's ho. there, 1804; (fn. 47) room of John Ankins, Hornsey Rd., 1816, worshippers using room at no. 13 Brand Street 1829; (fn. 48) Hornsey Rd. new schoolroom, 1820; (fn. 49) room on premises of John Hayes at Belle Isle, 1821; (fn. 50) Thos. Clark's ho. no. 16 Orchard Grove, 1829 and no. 14 Orchard Grove, 1829; (fn. 51) no. 8 Duddy's Rents, Lower Street, 1830. (fn. 52)
Union chapel originated in ch. formed 1799 which met in chapel (later private ho. no. 18) in Highbury Grove, after Hugh Worthington, min. at Salters' Hall chapel and former Unitarian, had preached at Highbury Grove 1793-6. (fn. 53) Established tradition of Anglican liturgy a.m. and free church worship p.m., providing union of Evangelical chs. of Eng. and Scotland and nonconf. chs. Thos. Lewis, Meth. lay preacher, first permanent min. 1802-52; became Cong. min. 1804. (fn. 54) New chapel in Compton Terr. built 1806, (fn. 55) seating 1,000 in 1838, (fn. 56) 1,100 in 1851. (fn. 57) Dan. Wilson at par. ch. drew away some attenders; Anglican liturgy dropped 1845, Cong. Union joined 1847. David Nasmith, member of Union chapel, founded Lond. City Mission, and outstations from chapel. Hen. Allon, co-pastor from 1844, pastor 1852-92, twice president of Cong. Union, developed music in svces. (fn. 58) Attendance 1851: 882 a.m.; 664 aft. (for servants; attendance doubled owing to schs. collection); 770 evg. (fn. 59) Membership rose from 318 in 1844 to 692 in 1860. Chapel enlarged 1861. Rebuilt on same site 1876-7, when svces. held at Myddelton hall, Upper Street, and iron chapel in Highbury New Pk.: (fn. 60) red-brick bldg. in the style of Santa Fosca Torcello by Jas. Cubitt with big tower, completed 1889, dominating terr.; octagonal interior on plan of Greek Cross. (fn. 61) Lecture hall, Compton Terr., and Sun. sch., Compton Ave., added by 1901. (fn. 62) Attendance 1903: 786 a.m.; 608 p.m. Membership fell rapidly early 20th cent. with migration to outer suburbs. (fn. 63) Did not join Utd. Ref. Ch. but remained in Cong. Federation, with 18 members 1980. (fn. 64) Missions: Nichol Street, Bethnal Green; Morton Rd. mission and sch., 1855, seating 800; attendance 1903: 386 p.m.; became builder's office after Second World War; Union hall, Station Rd., seating 250, by 1884. (fn. 65)
Holloway chapel, at junction of Camden and Caledonian rds., originated in one built by Inds. 1804 in Holloway Pl. (S. side of Holloway Rd., just NW. of G.N.R. line). (fn. 66) Destroyed by fire, possibly deliberately, 1807 and rebuilt on same site 1808; (fn. 67) fittings from chapel in Highbury Grove. (fn. 68) No regular min., but served from Hoxton and other dissenting academies; Ingram Cobbin, sec. of British and Foreign Schs. Soc. and sec. of Home Mission Soc., officiated there. (fn. 69) Enlarged 1821 and 1834, (fn. 70) seated 550 in 1838. (fn. 71) Sold to Ch. of Scotland 1842. Chapel built on new site 1842. (fn. 72) Seated 650 in 1851, (fn. 73) 470 in 1884. (fn. 74) Attendance 1851: 540 a.m.; 109 aft. (Sun. sch. svce. only); 343 evg. (fn. 75) Attendance 1903: 104 a.m.; 179 p.m. Ch. destroyed 1940; Sun. p.m. svces. held in St. Luke's C.E. ch. 1940-8. Hall built 1948 and replaced 1960 with permanent ch. on same site, seating c. 80 and with facilities for playgroup and youth activities. Became Holloway Utd. Ref. ch. 1972. (fn. 76)
Maberly chapel, no. 49 Ball's Pond Rd., built 1824, opened 1826, by Hen. Ashley for Inds. (fn. 77) Seated 700 in 1851. Attendance 1851: 520 a.m.; 60 aft.; 300 evg. (fn. 78) Closed c. 1888. (fn. 79)
No. 31 Highbury Vale (later Blackstock Rd.) certified by Wm. Parker Bourne, student in theology, for Ind. worship 1826. (fn. 80) Mtg. ho. built in Highbury Vale 1850, seating 50. Attendance 1851: 22 aft.; 20 evg. (fn. 81) Nothing further known.
Inds. under Chas. Gilbert from Islington chapel (q.v.), worshipped in ho. of Mat. Jas. Starling at SW. corner of Experimental Gdns. (off York Way) 1833; Starling certified his sch. ho. on E. side of Little William Street (near York Way) for Inds. 1837. (fn. 82) Inds. from sch. ho. met in cottage seating 20 in same street 1851. Attendance: 17 evg. (fn. 83) Svce. for adults also in Little William Street chapel and Sun. sch. 1851, seating 160. (fn. 84) Nothing further known; mtgs. may have ceased on opening of Caledonian Rd. chapel later in 1851. (fn. 85)
Barnsbury chapel and sch. room, corner of Barnsbury and Milner streets, built 1835, under Chas. Gilbert after resigning Islington chapel. (fn. 86) Seated 500 in 1838. (fn. 87) Reopened 1841 after alterations, seating 550: stuccoed two-storeyed neoclassical bldg. with twin porticoes on Doric columns and tall round-arched windows. (fn. 88) In 1851 seated 708; attendance: 556 a.m.; 347 evg.; average attendance: 720 a.m. (fn. 89) Attendance 1903: 113 a.m.; 497 p.m. Restored 1876, seated 750. (fn. 90) Nos. declined from c. 1900 and chapel closed 1909. (fn. 91)
Caledonian Rd. chapel, near Bingfield St., seating 1,000, built 1850-1 (fn. 92) through efforts of Ebenezer Davies, min. Seated 800 in 1884. (fn. 93) Attendance 1903: 109 a.m.; 229 p.m. Closed 1948. (fn. 94)
Offord Rd. chapel founded by group from neighbouring chapel who worshipped in Twyford hall, Twyford Street, 1855. (fn. 95) Built 1856. (fn. 96) Evan Lewis min. 1868-9. (fn. 97) Seated 800 in 1884. (fn. 98) Attendance 1903: 130 a.m.; 138 p.m. Closed 1918. (fn. 99) Bldg. used as wareho. 1981.
Harecourt chapel, St. Paul's Rd., built 1855 with proceeds from sale of Hare Court chapel, Aldersgate. (fn. 1) Bldg. of Kentish rag by E. & W. G. Habershon: octagonal central plan with three short arms in main axes. (fn. 2) Seated 1,300 in 1884. (fn. 3) Attendance 1903: 247 a.m.; 183 p.m. Church Ho., no. 1 Alma (later Harecourt) Rd. reg. for worship 1930. (fn. 4) Renamed Utd. Ref. ch., Harecourt Rd., 1972. (fn. 5) Destroyed by fire c. 1982 and svces. held in adjoining ho. Mission work and schs. in Elder Walk, Essex Rd., 1861. (fn. 6) In 1884 missions at Hammond Sq., Hoxton, seating 150; Macclesfield Street, City Rd., seating 100. Harecourt also founded chapels in Milton Rd., Stoke Newington, and Rectory Rd., Hackney. (fn. 7)
Britannia Row cong. ch. originated in mission work in Elder Walk, Essex Rd., started by Harecourt chapel and continued under Lond. City Missionary. Branch formed 1865 with 16 members, mtg. in sch. room which seated 150. Membership rose to 152 in 1871, when ch. built 1871-2 in Britannia Row with aid from Harecourt. (fn. 8) Seated 500 in 1884. (fn. 9) Attendance 1903: 103 a.m.; 139 p.m. Bombed 1940 and not rebuilt.
Temp. Cong. chapel in York Pl. (later St. Clement Street), Barnsbury, 1861, (fn. 10) may have been forerunner of Arundel Sq. Cong. chapel and sch. room, opened nearby 1863 at corner Westbourne Rd. and Bride Street. (fn. 11) Galleries built 1865; seated 1,000 in 1884. (fn. 12) Attendance 1903: 170 a.m.; 232 p.m. Closed 1931. (fn. 13) Bldg. used by free Bapts. 1931-5, before sale to St. Giles Christian mission. (fn. 14) Chapel ran preaching station at G.N.R. station on Sundays 1884. (fn. 15)
Baxter Rd. Cong. ch. built 1862-3 by Congs. Sold to Bapts. 1864. (fn. 16)
Junction Rd. Cong. ch. reg. temp. ch. 1865 on N. side of Junction Rd., Upper Holloway. New ch. built nearby 1866-7 on island site at corner of Tremlett Grove: (fn. 17) Kentish rag in Decorated style. Seated 700 in 1884. (fn. 18) Attendance 1903: 416 a.m.; 506 p.m. Renamed Junction Rd. Utd. Ref. ch. 1972. Closed 1978. (fn. 19)
Seven Sisters Rd. Cong. ch., reg. 1865, replaced 1885 by Finsbury Pk. Cong. ch., corner of Seven Sisters and Palmerston (later Playford) rds. (fn. 20) Large membership under T. Eynon Davies 1880s. Attendance 1886: 1,021 a.m.; 1,170 p.m. (fn. 21) Attendance 1903: 489 a.m.; 943 p.m. Closed 1939 and moved out of Islington. (fn. 22)
New Court Cong. chapel, Tollington Pk., built 1871 by worshippers from New Ct., Lincoln's Inn Fields, whose chapel had been demol. for Law Courts. (fn. 23) Neo-classical bldg. by C. G. Searle, with giant Corinthian portico, seating 1,340 in 1884. (fn. 24) During ministries of Campbell Morgan and J. Ossian Davies often full, but attendances declined c. 1900 with migration to outer suburbs. Attendance 1886: 1,053 a.m.; 1,326 p.m. (fn. 25) Attendance 1903: 734 a.m.; 633 p.m. Chapel sold to St. Mellitus Rom. Cath. ch. 1959; (fn. 26) members moved to temp. chapel in Everleigh Street until 1961. (fn. 27) New Court Cong. ch., Regina Rd., opened 1961; closed 1976. (fn. 28) Mission at nos. 88 and 89, Campbell Rd., 1884, seating 300; svces. Sun. and Wed. (fn. 29)
Blenheim Rd. chapel, Upper Holloway, opened as mission by Park chapel, Crouch End, (fn. 30) and reg. 1871. Seated 450 in 1884. (fn. 31) Attendance 1903: 96 a.m.; 156 p.m. Replaced 1916 by Blenheim Cong. mission hall, Blenheim (later Bavaria) Rd. Closed by 1954. (fn. 32)
Crayford Rd. Cong. ch., Tufnell Pk., formed 1874 in Athenaeum, Camden Rd. In Crayford Rd. by 1880 seating 400 in 1884. (fn. 33)
Cong. ch. (possibly temp.), Highbury Quadrant, reg. 1880. (fn. 34) Permanent ch. in Highbury Quadrant built 1881; seated 1,370 in 1884. (fn. 35) Designed by John Sulman; galleries added. Attendance 1903: 580 a.m.; 683 p.m. Because of subsidence, replaced 1957 with new single-storeyed red-brick bldg. with small tower, seating 250. (fn. 36)
Gifford hall mission, Gifford Street, Caledonian Rd., reg. 1901. (fn. 37) Attendance 1903: 50 a.m.; 399 p.m. Closed 1918; bldg. used by undesignated Christians. (fn. 38)
Regent Street chapel, Thane Villas, Seven Sisters Rd., reg. 1903 by Congs. meeting in Providence chapel, Regent Street, City Rd. 1879. (fn. 39) Attendance 1903 (as Calvinistic Inds.): 111 a.m.; 184 p.m. Closed 1947-52. (fn. 40)
Inds. who reg. new sch. room in Shepperton Street, New North Rd., adapted as chapel 1833, (fn. 41) may have been those from Pavement chapel, Moorfields, who moved to New North Rd. 1833. They moved to Southgate Rd., De Beauvoir Town, 1851. (fn. 42)
Sermon Lane Ragged sch., built 1849, used by Inds. 1851, seating 40. Attendance: 15 p.m. (fn. 43)
Lower part of Brand Street Ragged sch. used by Congs. 1851, seating 100. Attendance: 20 p.m. (fn. 44)
Islington Literary and Scientific Institution, Wellington Street, used by Congs. 1861-76. (fn. 45)
Rosslyn hall, no. 1 Church Street, used by Congs. 1882-96. (fn. 46)
Almshos. in Ball's Pond Rd. had mission svces. for 100 held by Kingsland Cong. ch., Hackney, 1884. (fn. 47)
Cong. mission, Lennox Rd., Upper Holloway; attendance 1903: 66 a.m.; 253 p.m.
Cong. mission, Myrtle (later Hurlock) Street, attendance 1903: 125 a.m.; 142 p.m. Highbury Vale mission, Hurlock Street, Blackstock Rd., reg. 1937. Used by undesignated Christians from 1948. (fn. 48)
Battle Bridge mtg. ho., near S. end of Maiden Lane (York Way), built c. 1775, and called Trinity chapel c 1793. Belonged to Particular Bapts. before 1810. (fn. 49) Used by Wes. Meths. by 1807 and until 1825, (fn. 50) then became private ho. (fn. 51)
Room at no. 2 Brays Ct., Essex Rd., reg. 1830, formerly reg. 1823 by Chas. Thompson for protestants. (fn. 52) Same group reg. room at no. 60 Britannia Row, Essex Rd., 1830, and workshop in South (later Basire) Street, New North Rd., fitted up as Zion chapel 1831. (fn. 53)
Cross Street Bapt. ch. originated at Providence hall, Providence Pl., Islington Green (called Islington Green chapel 1851), built c. 1833 and purchased by Bapts. 1840. Joined Bapt. Union c. 1845. (fn. 54) Seated 320 in 1851, attendance: 240 a.m.; 170 evg. (fn. 55) Cross St. chapel built 1852, of Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings and two arched entrances, seating 600; (fn. 56) reg. by Particular Bapts. (fn. 57) Land added at rear and schs. built 1857; additional land c. 1882. (fn. 58) Attendance 1903: 152 a.m.; 182 p.m. Seated 650 in 1928. (fn. 59) Bombed 1940; rebuilt and reopened 1957, seating 250- 300, flanked by manse and fellowship room. (fn. 60)
Bapt. mtg. in Denmark Terr., Copenhagen Street, formed 1848. Temp. accn. in British sch. room, Denmark Terr., 1851; attendance: 87 a.m.; 106 evg. Gone by 1862. (fn. 61)
Providence chapel, Highbury Pl., founded through work of Wm. Flack who reg. Jarman's sch., Church (later Gaskin) Street, for Bapts. 1849. (fn. 62) Eight members formed Particular Bapt. ch. 1850 at Birkbeck schs., Windsor Street. (fn. 63) Seated 150 in 1851, attendance: 60 a.m.; 41 aft.; 86 evg. (fn. 64) Five mtg. places by 1857, including Parkfield Street 1852. Moved to Tabernacle, Providence Pl., Islington Green, 1853, formerly used by Ctss. of Huntingdon's Connexion, and may have taken over Providence chapel next to it. Membership increased to 70: Myddelton hall, Upper St., sometimes hired for large nos. 1860s. Joined Met. Strict Bapt. Assoc. probably 1869 (fn. 65) and left 1888. Declined to low point c. 1870, but increased again 1880s. Providence Bapt. chapel built 1888 in Highbury Pl., corner of Baalbec Rd. Side galleries added. Seated 450 in 1928. Attendance 1903: 160 a.m.; 147 p.m. Nos. declined after 1900 as members moved away. Open-air mtgs. 1890s in Highbury Fields and at Highbury Corner.
Zoar chapel, John (later Wedmore) Street, Upper Holloway, built 1852, and may have originated in mtgs. at no. 2 John Street in 1848. (fn. 66) Reorganized 1880, still at Wedmore Street 1884, (fn. 67) but moved to Zoar Bapt. chapel, Tollington Pk., by 1888. (fn. 68) Joined Met. Strict Bapt. Assoc. Attendance 1903: 19 a.m.; 26 p.m. Seated 200 in 1928, renamed Strict Bapt. by 1954, closed 1959; Zoar Bapt. ch., Tollington Pk., reg. on same date; closed by 1971. (fn. 69)
Park Ho. sch. room, St. George's Terr., Barnsbury Pk., reg. by Gen. Bapts. 1852; disused by 1876. (fn. 70)
Eliatha chapel, William Street North (later Pembroke Street), Caledonian Rd., reg. by Bapts. 1853; became a Brethren chapel by 1855. (fn. 71)
Salem chapel, centre of Wilton Sq., leased 1853 to Bapts. under Rob. Dunning, who had met in Dorchester Pl., Hoxton, 1845. (fn. 72) Wm. Flack min. from 1857. Reorganized 1866. Joined Lond. Bapt. Assoc. for a while, then Met. Strict Bapt. Assoc. Attendance 1903: 37 a.m.; 62 p.m. Disbanded 1913. Lease of chapel assigned to vicar of Islington 1925. Demolished by 1981.
Camden Rd. chapel, corner of Ramsbury (later Camden) and Hilldrop roads, built 1853-4 by Bapt. Met. Chap. Bldg. Soc. for Particular Bapts. (fn. 73) Bldg. of Kentish rag by C. G. Searle in Perpendicular style, entrance flanked by octagonal towers; seated 700. Galleries added 1859, besides hall, vestries, classrooms. (fn. 74) Seated 1,050 in 1928. Joined Lond. Bapt. Assoc. by 1884. (fn. 75) Attendance 1903: 319 a.m.; 275 p.m. (fn. 76) Migration to outer suburbs from c. 1900 seriously reduced nos. Some increase 1926-32. Missions at Belle Isle (q.v.) 1870; Fakenham Street 1884, moved to Goodinge Street near Met. market same year and hall built; served by Lond. City Mission. Attendance 1903: 26 p.m. Closed 1919 and hall let to Salvation Army. Preaching in George's Rd. and no. 134 Holloway Rd. 1884. (fn. 77)
Highbury Hill Bapt. ch. originated in mtg. 1862 to form ch. on Highbury Hill. Chapel at corner of Highbury Hill and Aubert Pk. reg. 1862, disused by 1866; ch. met 1864 at Barnsbury hall, Upper Street, but extinct 1867. (fn. 78) New ch. formed 1871 under auspices of Lond. Bapt. Assoc. and met at Thornhill hall, Lower Holloway. Chapel built 1870-1 on Highbury Hill site and reg. by Particular Bapts. (fn. 79) Vestries and classrooms added by 1901. (fn. 80) Seated 1,060 in 1928. (fn. 81) Attendance 1903: 416 a.m.; 302 p.m. Chapel, severely damaged by 1952, (fn. 82) demol. 1959. Missions at Gillespie Rd. (q.v.) 1880s, Riversdale Rd. 1892. (fn. 83)
Salters' Hall chapel, formed in Cong. chapel, Baxter Rd., Essex Rd., bought 1864 by Particular Bapts. who had worshipped in bldg. in Oxford Ct. (Cannon Street, Lond.), formerly used by Presbs. from Salters' Hall. Seated 850 in 1928. Later joined Bapt. Union. (fn. 84) Attendance 1903: 285 a.m.; 472 p.m. Joined by Dalston Bapt. ch. from Ashwin Street, Hackney, 1967 to form Dalston and Salters' Hall Bapt. ch. Closed 1980 owing to dilapidation. Thereafter svces. in hall of St. Paul's C.E. ch. Maintained Sun. sch. and Girls' Brigade in German Lutheran ch., Ritson Rd., Hackney, until 1982. (fn. 85)
Ebenezer chapel, Birkbeck (later Elthorne) Rd., Upper Holloway, reg. 1864 by Particular Bapts., (fn. 86) who may have reg. Newbury Ho., Hornsey Rise, 1864-8. (fn. 87) Member of Met. Strict Bapt. Assoc. until c. 1916. Seated 350 in 1928. (fn. 88) Attendance 1903: 67 a.m.; 45 p.m. Closed by 1954.
Bethel chapel, Lavina Grove, King's Cross, opened 1865 by Joseph Thrift to replace that in Chapel Street, St. Pancras. Affiliated to Ampton Street chapel in St. Pancras c. 1885. Seated 80. (fn. 89) Attendance 1903: 53 p.m. Closed between 1927 and 1934.
Upper Holloway Bapt. ch., Holloway Rd., corner of Tollington Way, first ch. built with aid of new Lond. Bapt. Assoc. c 1866-8; supported by Camden Rd. Bapt. ch. until self supporting. (fn. 90) Attendance 1903: 714 a.m.; 1,143 p.m. Entrance vestibule enlarged c. 1911, giving extra seating in gallery. Hall and rooms at rear provided when former brewer's yard roofed over c. 1926. (fn. 91) Seated 1,300 in 1928. (fn. 92) Ceiling of ch. collapsed c. 1977, and hall at rear seating c. 100 used for most svces. 1982; hall seating 250 used for larger mtgs. (fn. 93) Mission at Rupert Rd., Upper Holloway, from 1878; (fn. 94) attendance 1903: 55 a.m.; 145 p.m.
Hampden hall, Hampden Rd., Upper Holloway, reg. 1866, disused by 1896, (fn. 95) was probably the Free Bapt. mtg. ho. built 1866 at expense of a working man. (fn. 96)
Bapt. mtg. in Holloway Rd. under W. Durban 1866, gone 1873. (fn. 97)
Bapt. mtg. in Richmond Street, Caledonian Rd., 1867, moved to Thornhill hall, Barnsbury, 1872. Declined 1878, reconstructed 1881, but disappeared by 1888. (fn. 98)
Bapt. mtg. in Royal Agricultural Hall reg. 1867 for unknown period. (fn. 99)
Belle Isle ch. originated in mission from Camden Rd. Bapt. ch. to serve populous area S. of Metropolitan market; Sun. sch. in loft over cowshed. Hall built 1870 under deacon from Camden Rd. Separate ch. 1877 at Co-operative hall, Copenhagen Street. Moved to Brewery Rd. 1878 as Belle Isle mission chapel, seating 550 in 1928. Attendance 1903: 219 a.m.; 329 p.m. Bombed 1941; members returned to Camden Rd. ch. Opened branch in Blundell Street 1879, and may have run mission at Drovers' hall, North Rd.; attendance 1903: 119 p.m. (fn. 1)
Hornsey Rise Bapt. ch., Hazelville Rd., Upper Holloway, founded 1870 by Revd. F. M. Smith when site bought and iron chapel and Sun. sch. built. Permanent ch. built 1881, seating 500. Attendance 1903: 166 a.m.; 202 p.m. Owing to war damage and reduced membership inner ch. seating 70 built 1948 by boxing in centre pews; main ch. still used in summer. Forty-six members in 1895; 200 in 1931; 36 in 1982. (fn. 2)
Ebenezer Bapt. chapel, Britannia Row, Essex Rd., opened 1872 under Jabez Whitteridge. Closed 1877 when he left and went with members first to Philip Street, then built chapel in Gillespie Rd., Highbury Vale, 1878. Closed when Whitteridge left, 1886. (fn. 3)
Bapt. mtg. in Fonthill Rd., Seven Sisters Rd., 1875, gone by 1888. (fn. 4)
Ebenezer chapel, Caledonian Rd., organized 1876; closed c. 1887. (fn. 5)
Bapt. mission room, no. 8 Cornelia Street, Barnsbury, reg. 1886, closed by 1896. (fn. 6)
Providence hall, Providence Pl., a Bapt. chapel until 1888, reg. by Ind. Bapts. 1900, closed 1912. (fn. 7) Attendance 1903: 63 a.m.; 78 p.m.
Tollington Pk. Bapt. ch. originated in ch. formed 1893 in Hornsey Rd. under Edwin Smart. (fn. 8) Attendance 1903: 70 a.m.; 146 p.m. Replaced by Spurgeon Memorial Bapt. chapel, Pine Grove, Tollington Pk., reg. 1909. (fn. 9) Seated 450 in 1928. (fn. 10) Replaced by concrete bldg. built in front, possibly 1969 when name amended to ch. Renamed Tollington Park Bapt. ch. in 1970s. Affiliated to Fellowship of Ind. Evangelical Chs. 1971. (fn. 11)
Free Bapts. reg. the former Arundel Sq. Cong. ch., Westbourne Rd., 1931; closed 1935. (fn. 12)
Ch. formerly mtg. at Mill Yard, Leman Street, Whitechapel, 1691 to 1885, used Mornington hall, Canonbury Lane, by 1911, sharing it with Christadelphians. Only surviving group in Lond., with 20-30 members 1914. Possibly same as group using no. 105 Seven Sisters Rd. by 1935. (fn. 13)
Methodists (fn. 14)
Wes. Trinity chapel, S. end of Maiden Lane (later York Way), by 1807 had 57 members; moved to new Battle Bridge chapel, Birkenhead Street, St. Pancras, 1825. (fn. 15)
Hornsey Rd. chapel founded by Wes. from City Rd., creating first soc. in N. Lond. (fn. 16) Svces. first in ho. of Chas. Broad, Duval's Lane (later Hornsey Rd.), 1811, (fn. 17) and Broad gave adjacent site for chapel E. side of Hornsey Rd. (N. of Seven Sisters Rd.). (fn. 18) Small nearly square bldg. of old Meth. type opened 1821. Part of 1st Lond.City Rd. circuit until 1843, when part of new 8th Lond.-Islington circuit. Seated 180 in 1851; attendance: 170 a.m.; 80 evg. (fn. 19) Chapel rebuilt, seating 700, on enlarged site 1858. Grey Kent stone bldg. with Bath stone dressings, by Mr. Trimen in 16th-cent. style; twin towers and two entrances at front. (fn. 20) Head of new Highgate circuit 1873. (fn. 21) By 1880s local poverty led to soc. receiving grants instead of giving to other areas as formerly. New chapels reduced nos., but mission work carried on in Andover Rd. from c. 1876, replaced by Alsen Rd. from c. 1881, and Hampden Rd. Became circuit mission 1898. Attendance 1886: 425 a.m.; 450 evg.; 1903: 201 a.m.; 407 p.m. Closed 1940; demol. 1960 for new police stn. (fn. 22)
Eliz. Emmins's sch., Norfolk Pl., adjoining no. 6 New Norfolk Street (later Ecclesbourne Rd.), used for Wes. worship 1822. (fn. 23) Chapel built in New Norfolk Street reg. 1829 and sold to Anglicans c. 1837. (fn. 24)
No. 5 Medlands Rents, Islington, reg. for Wes. worship 1823. (fn. 25)
Liverpool Rd. chapel, corner of Barford Street, built 1825 on site bought by Ric. Barford, member of City Rd. chapel, and opened 1826 by Wes. who had met in his wareho. nearby, (fn. 26) and before that at preaching station and Sun. sch. in butcher's shop, White Lion Street, in Clerkenwell. (fn. 27) Bldg. in neo-classical style, seating c. 950; (fn. 28) adjoining sch. in Barford Street added 1834. (fn. 29) Enlarged 1844, mainly with aid of Geo. Chubb, inventor of patent lock. (fn. 30) Rebuilt 1849 after fire, (fn. 31) in Decorated style by Jas. Wilson. (fn. 32) Seated 1,506 in 1851; attendance: 786 a.m.; 200 aft.; 674 evg., but said to average 1,100 a.m.; 1,200 evg. (fn. 33) Formed part of Wes. Lond. Central Mission from 1880s. Attendance 1903: 267 a.m.; 364 p.m. Chapel closed 1929, and work transferred to Highbury (q.v.). Bldg. bought by Royal Agricultural Hall Co. and demol. as site for New hall. (fn. 34)
Meth. New Connexion first met in Islington 1834 at ho. of Henry Webber, Sidney Street, off City Rd. (fn. 35) Soc. continued to meet in Shoreditch until dissolved 1852 for lack of suitable place; members met in private hos. Min. of Lond. circuit organized bldg. of Britannia Fields chapel 1854, at junction of Packington and Arlington streets, with aid from Josiah Bates and Ric. Barford, who had left Wes. Meths. (fn. 36) Brick bldg. with stone dressings in early Gothic style by J. McLansborough, with pinnacles at front corners, sch. room underneath. William Booth min. 1854-61 while young probationer; drew large nos. and gave firm foundation to evangelism. Allowed to use chapel for svces. of Salvation Army formed after he had left Connexion. Attendance 1903: 92 a.m.; 146 p.m. Nos. declined in early 20th cent. due to migration out of area, and chapel kept going by Connexion's Home Missions dept. Became part of Utd. Meth. Ch. 1907; in 1909, as Packington Street ch., belonged to Hackney circuit. New hall at rear 1932. Membership declined after Second World War, when neighbourhood rebuilt. Closed 1964 and demol. (fn. 37) Mission in Penton Street, in Clerkenwell, closed 1917.
Wes. chapel in gdn. of no. 2 George's Pl. (later Rd.), Lower Holloway, built 1837. (fn. 38) Seated 134 in 1851; attendance: 65 a.m.; 28 aft.; 50 evg. (fn. 39) Closed 1857, and leased to Soc. of Friends; (fn. 40) 31 members transferred to new Highbury chapel (q.v.).
Rob. Stodhart's sch. in Providence Pl. reg. 1838, for Calvinistic Meths. of Ctss. of Hunting-don's Connexion. (fn. 41) Known as Islington tabernacle by 1845. (fn. 42) Connexion still there 1850, (fn. 43) but in 1851 said to be Ind. chapel, part converted, part built c. 1846, seating c. 150. Attendance 1851: c. 50 a.m.; c. 30 evg. (fn. 44) Taken over by Strict Bapts. 1853. (fn. 45) Chapel and sch. N. side of Char-lotte (later Carnegie) Street, Caledonian Rd., built by Wes. Meth. Assoc. 1841. (fn. 46) Seated 325 in 1851; attendance: 272 a.m.; 132 evg. (fn. 47) Joined Utd. Meth. Free Ch. 1857; Utd. Meth. Ch. 1907. (fn. 48) Attendance 1903: 186 a.m.; 431 p.m. Also known as King's Cross mission by 1927. (fn. 49) Destroyed by land mine 1941. Members met in temp. premises, including Caledonian Rd. Liberal club, but joined King's Cross Meth. ch., Birkenhead Street, in St. Pancras, 1960. (fn. 50)
No. 4 Wilson Street, Barnsbury Pk., and no. 3 York Pl., Belle Isle, Maiden Lane (later York Way), used for Wes. mtgs. 1843. (fn. 51)
Bethel chapel at corner of Wilton Sq. and Wilton Pl. built by Welsh Calvinistic Meths. 1853; rebuilt 1884. (fn. 52) Seated 400 c. 1894. (fn. 53) Attendance 1903: 95 a.m.; 232 p.m. Sect became Presb. Ch. of Wales 1933. Chapel closed between 1947 and 1953; restored as hostel 1955 by St. Vincent's Housing Assoc. (fn. 54)
Providence chapel, Hornsey Rd. (no. 1 Hooper Street), reg. by Primitive Meths. 1854; (fn. 55) closed by 1857. (fn. 56)
Frog Lane (later Popham Rd.) chapel, S. side at corner of south (later Basire) Street, built by Primitive Meths. 1854-5 who had met in rented room for several years. Built with aid from Jas. Staley; first chapel built by Primitive Meths. in Lond.; 52 new members in first year. Attendance 1886: 92 a.m.; 162 evg. Closed 1897. (fn. 57)
Chapel in Clayton (later Tilloch) Street, Caledonian Rd., said to be part of Meth. New Connexion 2nd Lond. circuit 1856. Nothing further known. (fn. 58)
Highbury Wes. chapel, Drayton Pk., founded by members of Liverpool Rd. chapel, because George's Pl. chapel insufficient. (fn. 59) Thirty-one members transferred from George's Pl., 31 from Liverpool Rd. Bldg., with aid from Fras. (later Sir Fras.) Lycett, in Gothic style by Chas. Law 1857: Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings, seating 1,023. Day schs. built 1864. Part of Wes. Lond. Central Mission from 1880s. Attendance 1903: 139 a.m.; 195 p.m. Closed 1930. (fn. 60)
Islington Central hall, built 1929 on site of schs. at corner of Drayton Pk. and Horsell Rd. to replace Highbury Wes. chapel. (fn. 61) United with Liverpool Rd. soc. Large two-tier auditorium seating 1,300. (fn. 62) First min. Donald (later Lord) Soper, 1929-36, drew large congs. and provided social functions for unemployed. (fn. 63) Closed 1953 owing to heavy maintenance costs; let for ind. use, stood empty 1982. Work transferred to Albany mission, Albany Pl., Hornsey Rd., reg. 1954, (fn. 64) given by Smith fam. Closed 1961 for slum clearance, and svces. held in German Meth. mission until Islington Central Meth. ch. (q.v.), Palmers Pl., opened 1963.
Coffee ho. and dining rooms, no. 3 Whittington Terr., Upper Holloway, reg. for Wes. worship 1859; (fn. 65) closed by 1863. (fn. 66) Probably forerunner of Archway Rd. Wes. Meth. chapel (q.v.).
Primitive Meths. rented Market Street hall, Market Street, Caledonian Rd., 1860, St. George's hall, Richmond Rd., 1863, then hall in Hemingford Street, before Caledonian Rd. Primitive Meth. chapel built 1870 by S. gate of Met. market. (fn. 67) Part of 2nd Lond. circuit 1879. (fn. 68) Attendance 1903: 95 a.m.; 251 p.m. Became Caledonian Rd. Meth. ch. 1932. (fn. 69) Restored and reopened 1953; seated 375 in 1955, 250 in 1972. Funds raised 1980 to clean exterior, revealing fine Italianate bldg. of buff and red brick. (fn. 70)
Elwood Street chapel, Highbury Vale, originated in Park Pl. chapel, no. 2 Park Pl. (later Conewood Street), reg. by Primitive Meths. 1861, but possibly in use 1859. Closed by 1863. (fn. 71) Perhaps used Workman's hall E. side of Highbury Vale by 1869 and mission hall at corner of Blackstock Rd. and Myrtle (later Hurlock) Street, from c. 1870, (fn. 72) before opening Elwood Street chapel, 1889, whose members had previously met in rented halls. (fn. 73) Attendance 1903: 45 a.m.; 42 p.m. New sch. built 1927; young people's ch. and sch. reg. 1929. Chapel and sch. closed 1951, (fn. 74) and sold to L.C.C. as site for flats.
Elder Walk Ragged sch. reg. for Wes. worship 1861; ceased by 1876. (fn. 75)
Mildmay Pk. Wes. chapel, next to no. 4 Mildmay Pk., founded by Fras. Lycett, Wm. Lamplough, and S. D. (later Judge) Waddy, built 1862, first to be aided by new Met. Wes. Chapel Bldg. Fund. (fn. 76) Seated 1,150; choir in front gallery over clock; pulpit against E. wall until organ installed 1866; communion space enlarged 1893. Apse at E. end and vestibule added 1912. Income largest of any Meth. chapel in Lond. 1875. Helped maintain mission chapel in Matthias Rd., in Stoke Newington. Attendance 1886: 329 a.m.; 492 evg.; 1903: 401 a.m.; 331 p.m. Migration to suburbs brought growing deficit 1930s and membership dwindled after Second World War. Closed 1964; (fn. 77) area later cleared for housing. Lecture hall and sch. built 1878 at rear, given up 1938. Ran Mildmay Wes. mission room, no. 44 Newington Green Rd., reg. 1891, closed 1912. (fn. 78)
Caledonian Rd. Wes. ch., at junction of Caledonian and Hillmarton rds., originated in svces. held by 1863 in sch. room, York Pl. (later St. Clement's Street), under a home missionary. (fn. 79) Ch. in Gothic style with lofty spire, seating 1,000, with sch. room below, built 1866 on site obtained with aid from Fras. Lycett. (fn. 80) Attendance 1903: 151 a.m.; 213 p.m. Closed 1916; used as furniture wareho. until taken over by Liberal Catholic Ch. 1926. (fn. 81)
Archway Central Hall, corner of Archway Rd. and St. John's Way, originated in iron Archway Rd. Wes. chapel, built 1864 in St. John's Rd., seating 200. (fn. 82) Outlying part of Islington (Liverpool Rd.) circuit. Founded by local Meths. formerly mtg. at no. 3 Whittington Terrace (q.v.) and recent migrants from inner suburbs. Permanent chapel and sch. built on adjoining site 1872-3: cruciform Romanesque bldg. of light brick with terracotta dressings, by J. Johnson. Head of Highgate circuit 1873. Library started 1868. Attendance 1903: 442 a.m.; 373 p.m. Iron hall built 1933 in grounds of St. Mary's hosp. used until old ch. replaced (fn. 83) by last Central Hall to be built in Lond. 1934. (fn. 84) Main hall seating 1,300, lesser hall 300-400, with chapel, classrooms. Mission at no. 51 Vorley Rd. started 1884, ceased by 1896. (fn. 85)
Welsh Calvinistic Meth. chapel, Sussex Way, Holloway, built 1865, seating 500. (fn. 86) Attendance 1903: 74 a.m.; 220 p.m. Sect became Presb. Ch. of Wales 1933 and chapel renamed Holloway Welsh Presb. ch. (fn. 87)
No. 4 Bowmans Pl., Seven Sisters Rd., reg. as Wes. mtg. 1867; closed by 1876. (fn. 88)
Queensland Rd. Wes. mission started 1867 in room lent for purpose; 10 full members and 32 on trial 1868. (fn. 89) Hall leased in Queensland Rd., reg. 1873, (fn. 90) and lay missioner engaged. Part of Highbury circuit. Svces. transferred to Highbury Wes. day schs. 1882, and hall let to St. Barnabas's C.E. ch. Mission work transferred to Highbury chapel (q.v.).
Twyford hall Wes. mission, Twyford Street, Caledonian Rd., seating 200, opened 1872 as continuation of Penton Street mission, in Clerkenwell 1866-71. Attendance 1886: 45 a.m.; 160 evg. Closed 1890. (fn. 91)
Holly Pk. Meth. ch., Crouch Hill, opened by Wes. 1875 in iron chapel provided by Sir Fras. Lycett, who made large grant for permanent ch. built 1881-2 by Elijah Hoole, seating 650; clock tower and spire added 1910. Schs. and vestries built at rear 1886-7. Attendance 1903: 287 a.m.; 252 p.m. Ch. replaced by one of buff brick, by Mic. Pipe, seating 192, opened 1961. Rest of site used for block of flats. Mission at Weston Pk., Hornsey Vale, in Hornsey, c. 1882-1912. (fn. 92)
Primitive Meth. chapel, Anatola Rd., Dartmouth Pk. Hill, reg. 1877. (fn. 93) Larger chapel and sch. built 1883. (fn. 94) Attendance 1886: 140 a.m.; 167 evg.; 1903: 142 a.m.; 165 p.m. Closed 1936 after Archway Central Hall opened. (fn. 95)
Primitive Meth. chapel, Durham Rd., Seven Sisters Rd., reg. 1877. Attendance 1903: 67 a.m.; 58 p.m. Closed 1917. (fn. 96)
Gillespie Rd. Wes. chapel, Highbury Vale, founded 1878 by members of Finsbury Pk. or Wilberforce Rd. chapel in Hornsey. (fn. 97) May have held svces. in former Primitive Meth. chapel, E. side of Highbury Vale, 1876-8. (fn. 98) Attendance 1903: 119 a.m.; 91 p.m. Closed c. 1933 and soc. joined Elwood Street chapel. (fn. 99)
Ind. Meth. chapel in Windsor Street, Essex Rd., reg. 1879. (fn. 1) May have become Windsor hall Wes. mission, founded c. 1866 and attached to Liverpool Rd. chapel by 1887. (fn. 2) Hall between nos. 12 and 14 Windsor Street. Attendance 1903: 53 a.m.; 57 p.m. Windsor hall reg. at no. 6, 1906; closed by 1935. (fn. 3)
Primitive Meth. mission hall, Story Street, Caledonian Rd., reg. 1882; closed by 1896. (fn. 4)
Primitive Meth. mtg. at Jubilee Ho., ho. 473 Hornsey Rd., 1887, (fn. 5) reg. Hornsey Rise mission at no. 21 Station Parade, Hornsey Rise, 1901. Attendance 1903: 44 a.m.; 103 p.m. Replaced 1908 with chapel built at no. 425 Hornsey Rd. Closed 1930, (fn. 6) and taken over by Spiritualists.
German Wes. Meth. mission, no. 10A (later 30) Drayton Pk., founded at Spitalfields 1864, moved from Bateman Street in Westm. 1929, with membership of c. 100. Premises included mtg. rooms, flat for min., and rooms for mission home. Svces. held without min. during Second World War, until new min. sent from Germany 1948. Small hostel for young German speakers opened c. 1951. Moved to King's Cross Meth. mission, Birkenhead Street, in St. Pancras, 1971. (fn. 7)
Meth. chapel in Nat. Children's Home and Orphanage, no. 85 Highbury Pk., reg. 1935. Became interdenominational 1954. (fn. 8)
Islington Central Meth. ch., Palmer Pl., Holloway, built 1962-3 with aid from Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust and Lond. Mission and Dept. for Chapel Affairs, to continue work of Albany mission and Liverpool Rd. and Drayton Pk. chs. Seats 170. Part of premises used by Islington Bus Co. (community char.), 1982. (fn. 9)
Islington Presb. ch., River Terr. (later Colebrooke Row), also known as Scotch ch., built 1834 to replace chapel in Chadwell Street, Clerkenwell, in Presb. Synod of Eng. in connexion with Ch. of Scotland. Became identified with Free Ch. of Scotland, formed 1843; later part of Presb. Ch. of Eng., formed 1876. Bldg. in Early Eng. style, with three pinnacles on front, seating 630 including gallery. Enlarged after members increased from 70 to 340, seatholders from 121 to 1,063, 1844-7, and sch. room added. (fn. 10) Seated 1,000 in 1851; attendance: 640 a.m.; 498 evg.; 433 communicants on roll. (fn. 11) Nos. fell then rose again 1862-91 under Revd. J. Thain Davidson, who held svces. in Berner's hall, 1868, Royal Agric. Hall, and St. Mary's hall, sometimes for 3,000; organized many interdenominatinal mission svces. in Evangelical revival of 1860s and 1870s. Svces. also in Wilmington mission. Attendance 1903: 254 a.m.; 429 p.m. Svces. in St. Peter's schs. owing to condition of ch.; members disbanded 1923 and bldgs. sold. (fn. 12)
Colebrooke Rowchapel, no. 1 Colebrooke Row, reg. by Rob. Simpson, min. of Utd. Secession Ch. of Scotland, 1834. Nothing further known. (fn. 13)
South Street chapel, seating 150, said to be Presb. in 1838, (fn. 14) possibly former Bapt. chapel.
Caledonian ch., Holloway Rd., see below, Est. Ch. of Scotland.
Caledonian Rd. Presb. Ch., just N. of Brewery Rd., built by 1855 in terrace, designed by John Barnett & Birch. Closed by 1868, when transferred to trustees of Bp. of Lond.'s Fund and opened as St. Matthias's C.E. ch. (fn. 15)
Trinity Presb. ch., Church (later North Church) Rd., Southgate Rd., originated as old Scots ch. mtg. at Founders' Hall from 1672 and London Wall from 1764. Moved to Islington 1857 on expiry of lease. Ch. and manse opened 1858; lecture hall added 1880s. Nos. declined in 1890s to almost nothing; served by missioner 1897-9. John Kerr Craig's ministry 1899-1910 increased membership again. Attendance 1903: 77 a.m.; 149 p.m. Closed between 1934 and 1942. (fn. 16)
Park ch., Grosvenor Ave., Highbury, built after Scotch cong. at Myddelton Hall, Upper Street, increased under Revd. John Edmond. (fn. 17) One of three Utd. Presb. chs. in Lond. founded with aid of John Henderson of Renfrewshire. (fn. 18) Later part of Presb. Ch. of Eng., formed 1876. (fn. 19) White brick bldg. 1861-3, by E. Habershon, seating 1,200. Only facade remained 1952: neo-Hawksmoor type with low portico, SW. tower Italianate but with spire. (fn. 20) Lecture hall added by 1901. (fn. 21) Attendance 1903: 204 a.m.; 159 p.m. Membership over 400 c. 1870, (fn. 22) 169 in 1927, 94 in 1937. (fn. 23) As dist. had no poor, ch. supported City missioner in Hoxton by 1870, with Sun. and day schs. in Harvey Street and Albert Sq., Hoxton, in Shoreditch. (fn. 24) Ch. closed c. 1950. (fn. 25)
Crouch Hill Presb. ch., Holly Pk., originated in iron ch. built by cttee. in Finsbury Pk. area, formed 1873. (fn. 26) Site bought with help of Mr., later Sir Geo., Bunce. Lecture hall and vestries built 1876; svces. in hall, seating 320, until permanent ch. opened 1878. Brick bldg. with stone dressings in Gothic style, seating 620; three-stage corner tower with short spire. Enlarged, seating 830 by 1885. New hall for over 500 and other rooms behind ch. begun 1889. Attendance 1903: 780 a.m.; 774 p.m. Closed 1975 (fn. 27) and bldg. demol. Mission at Andover Rd. established 1884; hall, no. 61, reg. 1898. (fn. 28) Attendance 1903: 135 a.m.; 315 p.m. Closed by 1954.
Thrift hall, Grovedale Rd., Upper Holloway, reg. 1901. Attendance 1903: 97 a.m.; 40 p.m. Closed 1913 and bldg. used by Spiritualists. (fn. 29)
Mission hall, Elthorne Rd., Upper Holloway, reg. 1929; closed by 1954. (fn. 30)
Catholic Apostolic (Irvingites)
Revd. Edw. Irving, after expulsion from National Scotch Ch. 1832, preached in the open in Britannia Fields and other parts of Islington. Ch. in Duncan Street built 1834 by Duncan Mackenzie of Barnsbury Pk., former elder at Irving's Regent Sq. Scotch ch. and one of 12 Apostles of Catholic Apostolic Ch. from 1835 to 1840. Designed and built by Messrs. Stevenson & Ramage of Theobalds Rd. in Holborn, seating 350 in 1835, (fn. 31) 300 in 1851. (fn. 32) Single-storeyed neo-classical bldg. of brick with stone dressings, with recessed portico on two Ionic columns; N. end with coved semicircular recess with chairs for elders. (fn. 33) Attendance 1851: 234 a.m.; 171 aft.; 227 evg. (fn. 34) Attendance 1903: 200 a.m.; 124 p.m. Closed between 1964 and 1975.
Catholic Apostolic ch., Gloucester (later Salterton) Rd., Holloway, in use by 1880. (fn. 35) Attendance 1903: 169 a.m.; 109 p.m. Moved to Tottenham 1906. (fn. 36)
Room in yard of no. 24 Coles Terr., Barnsbury Rd., home of John Parnell, Baron Congleton, reg. 1843 for protestant dissenters, probably Brethren, as about that time Congleton furnished a fellowship room for Brethren who came from distant areas to Camden Town mtg. Congleton moved 1846. (fn. 37)
Pembroke Street (formerly William Street North) hall, Caledonian Rd., used by Brethren from 1853-5. (fn. 38) Attendance 1903: 23 a.m.; 43 p.m. Known as Eliatha chapel 1914. Closed c. 1948. (fn. 39)
The Priory, no. 198 Upper Street, in 1870s said to be one of three principal Brethren mtgs. in London. (fn. 40) Possibly moved to no. 57 Park Street (q.v.).
Park Street hall, no. 57 Islington Park Street, opened 1875. (fn. 41) Attendance 1903: 161 a.m.; 159 p.m. Endowment by Art. Jas. Chitty administered under Scheme of 1934. (fn. 42) Known as Brethren ch. 1982.
Archway assembly, no. 6A Junction Rd., founded c. 1880 when dancing academy hired on Sun. evgs. First communion svce. 1883. Premises later taken over completely, (fn. 43) reg. as Christian Assembly Hall, 1901. (fn. 44) Attendance 1903: 41 a.m.; 104 p.m. Premises taken for Archway Underground sta. c. 1907; cong. moved to Archway assembly hall, Hargrave Rd., reg. 1911, renamed Hargrave hall 1943. (fn. 45) Closed between 1975 and 1981. (fn. 46) Premises used by community centre 1981.
Finsbury Pk. room, behind no. 48 Blackstock Rd., reg. by Brethren 1885, cancelled 1901. Park hall, no. 48 Blackstock Rd., reg. 1901. Attendance 1903: 47 a.m.; 52 p.m. Still in use 1914. Used by Christadelphians from 1932. (fn. 47)
Canonbury hall, no. 96 Canonbury Rd., reg. 1902. Attendance 1903: 7 a.m.; 35 p.m. In use 1914. Closed by 1954. (fn. 48)
Barnsbury Rd. meeting, possibly at no. 70, (fn. 49) attendance 1903: 26 a.m.; 42 p.m. In use 1914. Barnsbury gospel hall, no. 10 Barnsbury Rd., reg. 1931, closed 1934. (fn. 50) Bethany hall, nos. 70-2 Barnsbury Rd., reg. 1934, closed 1976. (fn. 51)
Mtgs. also held 1903 at Terret's Pl. room, Upper Street, attendance: 39 a.m.; 33 p.m.; at Eversleigh Street hall, Tollington Pk., attendance: 27 a.m.; 35 p.m.; at Hazelville room, St. John's Rd., Upper Holloway, attendance: 123 a.m.; 114 p.m.; at Wedmore Street mtg. room, Upper Holloway, attendance: 11 a.m.; 25 p.m.; at Duncombe Rd., Upper Holloway, attendance: 12 a.m.; 25 p.m. All in use 1914 except Wedmore Street. Also used in 1914: Argyle hall, no. 105 Seven Sisters Rd.; no. 145 Holloway Rd.; Central hall, no. 102 Ball's Pond Rd.
Brethren meeting room, no. 93 Mildmay Pk., reg. 1930, closed by 1954. (fn. 52)
Mtg. room, no. 5A Drayton Pk., reg. 1932, closed by 1964. (fn. 53)
Latter-day Saints worshipped in basement of no. 3 Halton Pl., 1850, and schoolroom, no. 1 Cornwall Pl., Eden Grove, Holloway, 1851. (fn. 54)
Lecture hall, West Pl., Islington Green, reg. 1852; closed by 1876. (fn. 55)
Latter-day Saints chapel, Church Lane, behind no. 20 Church (later Gaskin) Street, reg. 1855; closed by 1876. (fn. 56)
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, no. 88A Archway Rd., reg. 1951, in former Highgate synagogue. (fn. 57)
Church of the New Jerusalem (Swedenborgians)
Hen. Bateman of Islington and his children founded Emanuel Coll. 1845 to promote doctrines and prepare students for ministry. Coll. at first in care of New ch., Argyle Sq., St. Pancras, but Bateman purchased from Thos. Cubitt site in Devonshire Street (later Devonia Rd.), where chapel opened 1852, with residence above and schoolroom below in wing completed by 1854. (fn. 58) By 1867 completion of large central chapel and sch. left original wing for coll. (fn. 59) Attendance 1903: 32 a.m.; 57 p.m. Closed 1930 and bldgs. sold to Polish R.C. mission. (fn. 60)
New Jerusalem ch., Camden Rd., built 1873-4 to replace ch. in Cross Street, Hatton Gdn. (fn. 61) Svces. in adjacent Athenaeum, Camden Rd., while ch. being built. Gothic style with SW. tower and spire, lecture hall, sch. room. New entrance from Parkhurst Street and hall opened 1908, when ch. held largest colln. of New Ch. literature in Eng. Attendance 1903: 156 a.m.; 94 p.m. In 1924 had 206 members, 60 of them not resident in area. Lease expired 1952 and ch. closed 1954, later used by Islington Boys' club. Most members joined N. Finchley ch., offshoot of study circle started by Camden Rd.
Society of Friends
Holloway Preparative mtg., with c. 30 members, first met 1858 in former Wes. chapel, George's Pl. (later Rd.), Lower Holloway. Mtg. ho. in Mercer's Rd., Upper Holloway, built 1864: two-storeyed brick bldg. with stone dressings and central pediment. Large hall seating over 100. Libr. opened 1866; classroom, cloakrooms, with schoolroom over for large Sun. sch., added 1888. Bldg. accn. over 600. Membership, with movement out of City, rose from 1860s to c. 150 in 1880s and became one of largest in Westm. Monthly Mtg. 1880-95. Mission work at Quaker centre, Bunhill Fields. From 1900 membership declined with movement farther out. Attendance 1903: 36 a.m.; 27 p.m. Falling nos. and dilapidation led to sale 1938 and purchase of no. 404 Camden Rd., altered for mtgs., seating 70. In 1958 became an Allowed Mtg., too small to manage business functions, and attached to Muswell Hill Mtg.; bldg. sold to N. Lond. Soc. for Mentally Handicapped Children 1963, with reservation of room for Sun. mtgs. for 5 yrs., but mtgs. ceased by 1966. (fn. 62)
Worshipping group formed 1979 by wife of V. of St. David's C.E. ch., meeting at vicarage, no. 43 Eden Grove, Lower Holloway. Average attendance 12 in 1982. (fn. 63)
Unity ch., Upper Street, founded from Carter Lane, St. Paul's, since several members lived in Islington. Schs. and vestry built 1860 on former nursery ground; svces. in sch. until ch. opened 1862. Bldg. in Gothic style with spire, by T. Chatfeild Clarke, seating c. 500. Window to Jos. Chamberlain (d. 1837) and tablet to s. Jos. (d. 1874), grandfather and father of politician Jos., who was worshipper there. Attendance 1903: 64 a.m.; 75 p.m. Preston memorial rooms added 1906-7 next to sch. Ch. and sch. destroyed 1941 and plain bldg., by Kenneth Tayler, seating c. 100 and also used as hall, provided 1958 by War Damage Com. on site of sch., facing Florence Street. Site of ch. on Upper Street sold to adjoining fire station. (fn. 64)
Highgate Unitarian ch., Despard Rd., Highgate Hill, built 1885; sch. ho. opened 1885, ch. 1890. (fn. 65) Attendance 1903: 146 a.m.; 104 p.m. Closed 1962 (fn. 66) and demol.
Mtg. ho. at corner of Barnsbury Grove and Bride Street used from 1862 when London ch., founded 1762 by Rob. Sandeman, moved from Paul's Alley, Barbican. (fn. 67) Simple bldg. of white brick seating c. 300; two rows of raised seats at far end for elders. Mic. Faraday (1791-1867), discoverer of electricity, an elder until 1864. Membership 118 in 1785, c. 100 in 1870s; mostly poor. Membership 34 in 1901, when mtg. moved to no. 3 Highbury Crescent. (fn. 68) Attendance 1903: 45 a.m.; 25 p.m. Possibly last remaining Sandemanian ch. in Eng., with 13 members and only 1 elder in 1982; thought unlikely to survive.
Seceders from Barnsbury Grove reg. Christian mtg. ho., no. 18 Albion (later Furlong) Rd., Holloway, 1886. Attendance 1903: 36 a.m.; 37 p.m. Ch. closed 1935. (fn. 69)
Ecclesia of c. 50 members meeting in dancing academy, top of Gower Street, St. Pancras, moved early 1870s to Wellington hall, Wellington (later Almeida) Street. (fn. 70) Attendance 1903: 48 a.m.; 57 p.m.
Other mtgs. 1903 at Barnsbury Street hall, attendance: 54 a.m.; 44 p.m.; in use 1911; (fn. 71) Mornington hall, Canonbury Lane, attendance: 67 a.m.; 69 p.m.; in use 1914; Wortley hall, no. 242 Seven Sisters Rd., attendance: 55 a.m.; 73 p.m.; in use 1914.
Christadelphian hall, no. 48 Blackstock Rd., Finsbury Pk., formerly used by Brethren, reg. 1932. (fn. 72) In use 1982.
Blue Ribbon gospel army
Hall at no. 5A Northampton Pl., Holloway, reg. 1882, closed by 1896. (fn. 73) Duncombe Road chapel, Upper Holloway, reg. 1883, closed 1884. (fn. 74) No. 148 Holloway Rd. reg. 1886, closed 1912. (fn. 75)
Temperance hall, no. 134 Holloway Rd., reg. 1884, closed 1886. (fn. 76) Highbury hall, no. 65 Holloway Rd., reg. 1886, re-reg. 1888 as Salvation Army hall, no. 324 Holloway Rd.; closed by 1896. (fn. 77)
St. Mark's mission hall, no. 300 Hornsey Rd., reg. 1885. Renamed barracks 1892. (fn. 78) Attendance 1903: 18 a.m.; 64 p.m. Closed 1904. (fn. 79)
Barracks, no. 2 Salisbury Rd., Highgate Hill, reg. 1888, closed by 1896. (fn. 80)
Wellington Castle barracks, Almeida St., Upper St., reg. 1890; renamed citadel 1902. (fn. 81) Attendance 1903: 104 a.m.; 209 p.m. Closed 1959. (fn. 82)
Citadel, Ronald's Rd., Lower Holloway, reg. 1891. (fn. 83) Attendance 1903: 112 a.m.; 284 p.m. Replaced 1968 by citadel, no. 30 Junction Rd., Upper Holloway (q.v.). (fn. 84)
Barracks, no. 44 Elthorne Rd., Upper Holloway, reg. 1896, closed 1900. (fn. 85)
Barracks, no. 83 Ball's Pond Rd., reg. 1898. Attendance 1903 (at no. 81): 55 a.m.; 115 p.m. (fn. 86) Closed by 1911. (fn. 87)
Citadel, between nos. 30 and 32 Junction Rd., reg. 1899. Attendance 1903: 257 a.m.; 635 p.m. Closed 1965, (fn. 88) but reopened 1968 to replace citadel in Ronald's Rd. (q.v.).
Temperance hall, Church Passage, Upper St., used 1903; attendance: 39 a.m.; 56 p.m.
Finsbury Pk. hall, no. 6 Station Rd. and no. 225 Seven Sisters Rd., formerly used for svces. by Y.M.C.A., reg. 1903. (fn. 89) Attendance 1903: 55 a.m.; 164 p.m. Moved to barracks, no. 382 Hornsey Rd., Upper Holloway, 1904. Closed 1916. (fn. 90)
Hall, Cornelia St., Lower Holloway, reg. 1904; closed 1912. (fn. 91)
Hall, Durham Rd., Finsbury Pk., reg. 1917, closed 1920. (fn. 92)
Hall, Corporation Street, York Way, formerly Goodinge Rd. Bapt. mission, reg. 1920; probably closed 1952 when hall was sold. (fn. 93)
Mildmay Conference Hall, Mildmay Pk., reg. 1922 to 1952. (fn. 94)
Hall, Turle Rd., Tollington Pk., reg. 1926, (fn. 95) closed by 1934. (fn. 96)
Hall, ground floor of bldg. at corner of Paddington St. and Campbell Rd., Finsbury Pk., reg. 1932, closed by 1954. (fn. 97)
Hall, no. 112 Fonthill Rd., Finsbury Pk., reg. 1936, closed by 1954. (fn. 98)
Seventh-day Adventists (fn. 99)
Conversion work in Lond. began 1887 at the Chaloners, Anson Rd., Tufnell Pk., with 20-30 baptisms 1888. Mtgs. also at the Athenaeum, Camden Rd., and Duncombe hall, from which several chs. emerged. First training sch. also at Duncombe hall, then Manor Gdns., Holloway, until move to Watford 1907. Publishing works opened at no. 451 Holloway Rd. 1887.
Svces. at Duncombe hall, Duncombe Rd., Hornsey Rise, Sat., Sun. evg., some weekday evgs. Attendance 1903: 50 p.m. (Sun.; main svces. Sat.).
Stroud Green hall, no. 15 Jacksons Bldgs. (the Parade), Stroud Green Rd., reg. 1910. (fn. 1) Members organized lecture programme and svces. in several N. Lond. halls. In use 1914, but by 1919 replaced by Scala cinema. (fn. 2)
Seventh-day Adventist ch., no. 395 (later 381) Holloway Rd. Built 1927-8 as New Holloway hall, seating 650-700, with aid of national Conference as representative ch. and conference H.Q., also as permanent ch. for earliest N. Lond. congregation, which previously met in hos. and hired halls. Membership 242 in 1927.
Svces. held 1903 at no. 19 Stroud Green Rd., attendance: 15 p.m.; and at no. 51 Monsell Rd., Finsbury Pk., attendance: 12 p.m.
Grovedale hall, no. 40B Grovedale Rd., Upper Holloway, taken over from Presbs. 1913. Moved to N. Lond. Spiritualist Assoc. New ch., no. 425 Hornsey Rd., 1931. Renamed N. Lond. Spiritualist ch. 1964. (fn. 3) Sanctuary of Hope, no. 23 Duncan Terr., reg. by Christian Spiritualists 1938. Moved to no. 42 Canonbury Rd. 1941; closed by 1954. (fn. 4)
Spiritualist Ch. and Healing Sanctuary, no. 806A Holloway Rd., reg. 1943; closed by 1954. (fn. 5)
St. John's Healing Sanctuary, no. 9 Hillmarton Rd., reg. 1956. (fn. 6)
Elim Four-square Gospel Alliance
Zion Tabernacle, Duncombe Rd., Hornsey Rise, reg. 1929; closed by 1971. (fn. 7)
Mission work began 1928 with mtgs. at Caledonian Rd. baths, Rink cinema, Finsbury Pk., and central libr. Vacant ch. in Fowler Rd. rented 1929 and opened for regular svces. as Elim tabernacle. Bombed 1944 and replaced by rented shop, no. 111 Essex Rd. Moved to disused Meth. ch. in Highbury 1947-51. Joined Hornsey ch. temporarily 1951 then moved to Newcourt ch. hall, Lennox Rd., Finsbury Pk., reg. 1951. Attendance c. 30 in 1970s. Bought Newcourt Cong. ch., Regina Rd., and opened Newcourt Elim Pentecostal ch. there 1977, seating 300. Membership increased steadily to 100 in 1979. (fn. 8)
Pentecostal Fellowship Mission, Station hall, Hornsey Rd. sta., reg. 1951; closed 1959. Anglo-West Indian Assembly reg. by Pentecostals at same address 1959; closed by 1964. (fn. 9)
Stroud Green Christian Assembly, Everleigh hall, Everleigh Street, Finsbury Pk., reg. 1957 by Assemblies of God. Renamed Stroud Green Pentecostal ch. 1971. (fn. 10)
German Evangelical (Utd.) Ch. reg. chapel in new rd. (later Fowler Rd.), off Halton Street, 1862. Attendance 1903: 119 a.m.; 58 p.m. Mtg. room in Fowler Rd. reg. 1905. Both chapel and room closed by 1925. (fn. 11)
St. Luke's Free Eng. ch., Duncombe Rd., Hornsey Rise, reg. 1866; closed by 1876. (fn. 12)
Followers of Joanna Southcott met at no. 9 Elder Walk, Essex Rd., c. 1870, under John Whatmore, 'muddle-headed, well meaning mystic' and open-air preacher. (fn. 13)
Aged Pilgrims Asylum (later Home) chapel, Hornsey Rise, reg. 1872 by sect refusing to be designated. Known as Calvinistic Ind. ch. 1903; attendance: 56 p.m. Closed 1974. (fn. 14)
Church Mission hall, Blackstock Rd., Finsbury Pk., reg. by Reformed Episcopalians 1880, closed by 1896. St. George's ch., George's Rd., Holloway, reg. by same 1881, closed by 1896. (fn. 15)
Christian Soldier hall, Church (later Gaskin) Street, reg. 1882; closed by 1896. (fn. 16)
All Saints' schoolroom, Hemingford Rd., and mission hall, Thornhill Bridge Pl., Caledonian Rd., reg. by Church Army 1883. Both closed by 1896. (fn. 17)
Fifth Ch. of Christ Scientist at no. 137 Stroud Green Rd. by 1914.
Fifth Ch. of Christ Scientist, no. 58 Crouch Hill, reg. 1925, consisting of nine rooms including Sun. sch. in 1935. Moved 1964 to Blythwood Rd., (fn. 18) where ch. closed by 1982 and used as community centre.
Tower hall, no. 12 Warltersville Rd., CrouchHill, reg. by Apostolic Faith Ch. 1926. Renamed Utd. Apostolic Faith ch. 1933. Closed 1970 and moved to Hornsey. (fn. 19)
St. Mary's ch., in former Meth. ch. at junction of Caledonian and Hillmarton rds., reg. by Liberal Catholics 1926 to replace ch. in St. Pancras. Closed 1976 and moved to Kensington. (fn. 20)
First-floor room, no. 129 Seven Sisters Rd., reg. by Paracletians 1934, closed 1937. NeoParacletians reg. same room, then part of Co-op. Social hall, 1954; closed by 1971. (fn. 21)
Kingdom hall, no. 16A Highbury Pl., reg. by Jehovah's Witnesses 1961. Closed 1973. (fn. 22)