XXII.—NAYLOR'S COTTAGES, Nos. 1 to 4 HAMPSHIRE HOG LANE
The freeholder is A. M. Naylor, Esq.
General description and date of structure.
The four cottages in Hampshire Hog Lane at the northern end of
the grounds of Hampshire House were erected on a portion of a long narrow
field purchased by Samuel Naylor from William Falkner (fn. 1) in 1776; in the
deed of purchase in the possession of the owner the field is described as
abutting at the south end on premises of Mr. Carter, (fn. 2) and, west, on premises
in the occupation of Mrs. Nicholls, which latter would seem to coincide
with the "little grass field" referred to in the historical notes relating to
Nos. 22 and 24 Upper Mall (see p. 69). There is no indication of any
building on the plan attached to this deed, but, from various details in the
easternmost cottage, we may conclude that it is part of an earlier structure.
The upper storey overhangs a considerable distance, and beneath it is an
original window with broad flush frame and a sash with heavy glazing bars.
There is a timber gable at the back and the roofs are covered with pantiles.
The remainder dates from the latter part of the 18th century, and does not
contain any features deserving of special record. The greater portion of
the field on which the cottages were built has been incorporated in the
gardens of Hampshire House.
The lane derives its name from the Hampshire Hog Inn, which
stands at the eastern corner of its junction with the High Road. It runs
practically the whole way between walls of ancient brickwork, and with the
immediate neighbourhood of the Creek and the Highbridge to which it
leads, preserves more completely than any other part the atmosphere of a
Hammersmith which now belongs to the past.
|| William Falkner owned the neighbouring property of Rivercourt from 1761–67 (see p. 78).
|| This must be the copyhold garden now let with Sussex House (see p. 65).