XXXVII.—SITE OF THE SHIP INN, UPPER MALL
Very little seems to be known about this old river-side inn beyond
the information supplied by Faulkner, (fn. 1) who says that it was an ancient
building in the style of the time of Charles I. It stood on the south side
of the footway, between the path and the river, and the brick porch and
a part of the front wall (with its sign) have survived its demolition. A
water-colour drawing of the inn, copied in 1867 from an earlier drawing,
is preserved in the Coates Collection (Plate 88), and a painting on panel is
in the possession of Mr. Samuel Martin. A photograph of the porch as
it exists is reproduced here (Plate 89), together with the old view. It
is improbable that the porch dates from before the second half of the 17th
century. It will be seen that the level of the ground has been considerably
raised of late years. The Court Rolls of the Manor of Fulham contain
entries relating to a Ship Inn situated in the lane leading from the chapel
at Hammersmith to the water-side, but the following entry, dated 6th April,
1795, undoubtedly refers to the inn on the Upper Mall: "George Thrale
(heir and younger brother of William Thrale) and Robert Foster surrender
The Ship, formerly in the occupation of John Meredith, late of — Salter,
and now or late of Robert Dearman (being one of seven tenements formerly
the estate of John Jones), to the use of John Sich of Chiswick." The ratebooks give the name of John Sich as being in occupation from 1795–98.
Old prints, drawings, etc.
Painting on panel in the possession of Mr. Samuel Martin.
(fn. 2) Water-colour drawing by J. T. Wilson in the Coates Collection entitled "The Old Ship,
copied 1867, from a drawing lent by the landlord."
Lithograph, a copy of which is preserved in the Ravenscourt Park Public Library.
In the Council's ms. collection are:
(fn. 2) Photograph of the brick porch.
Another photograph of the same.
|| History and Antiquities of . . Hammersmith, p. 340.
|| Reproduced here.