XLV.—THE WINDSOR CASTLE, No. 134 KING STREET
This late Georgian building of three storeys stands back from the road,
about half-way between Waterloo Street and Holcombe Street, but on the
opposite side. It has an ample courtyard in front, and a long, low building
of earlier character, with pantile roof, bounds the open space on the west.
The Windsor Castle (though probably not the present house) was in
existence in 1753, when it was leased by Jonas Benjamin for twenty-one years,
as we learn from a mortgage dated 1765. (fn. 1) At the latter date it was in the
occupation of James Beech, vintner, his predecessors being Montague
Grover, Robert Moore and Henry West. An entry in the Fulham Court
Rolls under date 6th April, 1790, records that "Anthony Newman surrenders
the Windsor Castle, which was built on part of 4 acres of land in Great
Bradmore, 2 acres of the same land being enclosed as a field." In 1800
Newman surrenders to Joseph Cromwell. Faulkner (fn. 2) records a serious fire
here in 1823.
In the Council's ms. collection is:
View from King Street (photograph).
|| Middlesex Registry Memorials, 1766, VIII., 158.
|| History and Antiquities of . . Hammersmith, p. 262.