XLII.—No. 27 CHARLES SQUARE.
The freeholder is Mrs. F. Miller.
General description and date of structure.
This house consists of two storeys, with an attic and basement. The
front room on the ground floor has deal panelling, with moulded cornice
and chair rail. The chimney-piece across one of the angles of the room
has a panel above with a moulded architrave containing a canvas, now
painted over. The staircase is of generous width and easy going. The
balustrading has well-turned balusters, with a moulded close string, square
newel posts with ball terminals, and moulded pendants. The whole
is characteristic of the work of the late 17th century, and it is probable
therefore that the house dates back to the period 1685–90, when Charles
Hills was effecting his sub-leases. The front area railings have well-designed
cast-iron standards (Plate 42).
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection Are:
(fn. 1) Plan of premises (measured drawing).
(fn. 1) Staircase, details of balustrading (measured drawing).
(fn. 1) Iron railings, detail (measured drawing).
(fn. 1) Nos. 25–26, lamp-bracket, detail (measured drawing).