XLVII.—No. 190 SHOREDITCH HIGH STREET.
The freeholders are the Trustees of the London Parochial Charities,
and the occupier is Mr. C. Cohen.
Description and date of structure.
These premises, which probably occupy a portion of the site of the
three messuages leased by the prioress of Holywell to Thomas Towle in
1532 (fn. 1) , present an interesting brick front of the early 18th century above a
modern shop front (Plate 85). Two flanking brick pilasters with brick
Doric capitals, and a moulded entablature embrace two storeys. The main
cornice, in moulded brickwork, enriched with dentils, breaks round the
pilasters and carried across the front. The window-frames are built flush
with the wall, and have segmental heads, with rubbed brick arches; those
to the second floor have a brick apron below the sill, and the sashes are
divided into small squares by glazing-bars. A moulded brick string-course
marks the second-floor level. The storey above the main cornice bears
evidence of later workmanship.
The interior is plain and uninteresting, with modern fittings.
Condition of repair.
The Council's collection contains:—
(fn. 2) View of exterior (photograph).
|| See p. 178.
|| Reproduced here.