Survey of London: volume 8: Shoreditch
Sir James Bird (editor)
'No.196, Shoreditch High Street', Survey of London: volume 8: Shoreditch (1922), pp. 189. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=98256 Date accessed: 27 November 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
XLVIII.—No. 196 SHOREDITCH HIGH STREET.
Description and date of structure.
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection is:—
The freehold belongs to Messrs. Hoare and Co., and the occupier is
Mr. F. W. Rehm.
These are four-storey brick premises, known as The White Swan
Hotel. Internally they are devoid of interest.
The front of an old lead cistern (Plate 87) originally belonging to
these premises is now deposited at the Shoreditch Technical Institute.
Its centre is occupied by interlacing moulded ribs around a middle panel
which bears the inscription E. E. H. surrounded by various figures, which are
repeated with the date 1693 on the remainder of the face. Clusters of
conventional foliage fill the four corners.
(fn. 1) Front of lead cistern (photograph).
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd