Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44 - Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs

Year published

1994

Author

Hermione Hobhouse (General Editor)

Description

The dockland parish of All Saints’, Poplar, encompasses the ancient hamlet of Poplar itself, the old shipbuilding centre of Blackwall, and the former industrial districts of Millwall and Cubitt Town. Poplar’s story is one of development and redevelopment on both the grand and the comparatively small scale, driven in the nineteenth century by mercantile interests and manufacturing, and after the Second World War by de-industrialization and the obsolescence of the Thames-side docks. The East and West India and Millwall Docks system is discussed in detail, together with the riverside wharves and works, and the massive regeneration, still in progress, which followed the creation of the Isle of Dogs Enterprise Zone in 1982. Among important individual buildings described is the seventeenth-century church of St Matthias, a rarity from the Interregnum, built for the East India Company. A major subject is public housing, which includes the famous Lansbury Estate, built in association with the 1951 Festival of Britain.

Sponsor

English Heritage

Source

Survey of London (Secondary texts)

Places

Subjects

Periods

Showing records 101 - 150 of 257

101
4
102
5
103
6
104
7
105
8
106
9
107
10
108
11
109
12
110
13
111
14
112
15
113
16
114
17
115
18
116
19
117
20
118
21
119
22
120
23
121
24
122
25
123
26
124
27
125
28
126
29
127
30
128
31
129
32
130
33
131
34
132
35
133
36
134
37
135
38
136
39
137
40
138
41
139
42
140
43
141
44
142
45
143
46
144
47
145
48
146
49
147
50
148
51
149
52
150
53
  1 2 3 4 5 6